Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Temodal - the rare and expensive pill for chemo

Since this cancer started I found out that a treatment for such a illness is extremely expensive. My sister Mirela is "in charge" with acquiring the treatment from all transactions and sources. In Romania the treatment should be purchased through "The Insurance House" which is something like our medical insurance. The only thing is that the pharmacies are not willing to provide such a treatment because they will wait forever and ever to get the money back from the "insurance house". There is the rumor saying that the state will cease financing this illness.
The people that are sick of cancer are registered and the treatment is released to them monthly. The pharmacy that Mirela ordered the treatment from - this temodal, and some other cancer pills, had to bring the treatment from all over Romania, this difficult is to find it.. So you end up paying the treatment and then pray that maybe you get some money back from the state. One pill of temodal of 100 mg is 100 Euros. This is simply stupid and insane..For starting the treatment, us the girls, we gathered the money from donations, our credit lines and our economies. The amount of money that my father receives for his retirement is around 500 Euros per month. You do the math.
I tried to find the temodal in Canada but I need a prescription from here which of course I have not.
These are the prices...are you kidding me?


 NAME: Temodal (TEMOZOLOMIDE)
  U.S. Name: Temodar 





Product Code: Z12211




5mg - 5 Capsules - $64.00   :: BUY ::
20mg - 5 Capsules - $196.00   :: BUY ::
100mg - 5 Capsules - $913.00   :: BUY ::
250mg - 5 Capsules - $2,543.00   :: BUY ::

* A prescription is required for Temodal.

Mirela said that she does not have time to worry about father being sick due to chemo and radiation, because she needs to worry about finding the treatment, purchase it and sending it to Hungary to my dad.
When father will return to Romania, he will have to continue the treatment with more milligrams (meaning 250 mg)  than he takes now.

I started dealing better with the grief, however my doctor thinks that I am burnt out. The doctor asked me if I want to see a grief counselor, and she suggested some treatment for my new acquired state of mind. I said no. I will deal with this on my own terms. Magda is really down and Mirela is trying to convince her to see a counselor. Magda also said no. Roxana is stressed but she is handling well because her new born, she is focusing to something beautiful and pure which is the best therapy.
Between my night school and work, I have to figure out a solution for the future treatment of my father. I feel like a mouse on the treadmill. I do not see yet the solution, I am not in control and I am simply tired.
I just have to take one day at the time and let God do the rest.

1 comment:

  1. It is ridiculous how the system works with these pills! Crazy expensive too! Wow... you need to take it easy, and make sure you don't burn yourself out. You will be no good to anyone if you are burnt-out. It will take all your energy just to get up in the morning. you don't want to go there. Find the light... it is always there - somewhere. I know you are strong, and you will find it :) i send you some love and light Ge.

    ReplyDelete